Friday 8 April 2011

Trapped

It’s all go here. Yesterday I had 4 meetings back to back between 1 and 5pm which in my opinion is pretty feckin’ ridiculous. I even had to write down on my meeting pad (yes I have actually started taking pen and paper to meetings now, this is how serious its getting) where each one was, what time, with who and what the hell it was about to stop me just wandering the corridors aimlessly looking for room MR4-2.99g or something. What also didn’t help was that at one point Kirstie, Ms Rigsby and I got stuck in a small corridor, well not a corridor really, that space you get between doors. You know? When you work in an office that deems it necessary to have a door from the main lifts foyer bit into another small space that then just leads you through more doors? Well we were stuck there. Some how we’d managed to get through the 1st door but then none of the others would work and we couldn’t get back out the one we had just come through. Other people were trying to get to where we were with no luck as well.

At first this is all fairly hilarious and then you remember you were actually on your way to the vending machine for a coke and off to sit in the sun and suddenly it’s eating into your lunch break and it’s not so funny any more. We managed to mouth through the glass doors to someone that we were stuck (no shit Sherlock) and they scurried off to security. A security dwarf arrived (seriously, I can’t see him taking down any burly intruders unless he’s a bit of an ankle biter) and said that they were testing the locks on the doors so the more we swiped would actually delay things.

“How long is this going to take?”

“Some time”

“Er that’s not an answer, how long?”

“I’m not sure, you’ll have to hang on”

“Why?”

“Well they are testing the locks so the swipe passes won’t work”

“Did you think to tell anyone this? Perhaps an email warning people not to venture out?”

“Er, well…”

“Wow, so you thought that 1pm on a Thursday, in the middle of the working day when people have to actually get to places, thorough these doors would be a good time to test this?”

No answer

“How about you stop the testing so that we can actually escape this corridor and start it up again at the end of the day when most people have gone home?”

“Well I’m not sure….”

“Listen Shorty I for one do not intend to spend my afternoon stood here and so unless you let us out I will hit this fire alarm button here and have everyone leaving the building at the same time and you can deal with that instead ok?”

At this point he mumbles something we can’t quite hear through the glass and wanders off. A couple of minutes later the doors reactivate.

I mean honestly.

No comments:

Post a Comment